Tuesday 26 June 2012

Memories...

This is a little suitcase in the corner of the cutest vintage shop in Nottingham. As soon as i saw it i could not stop smiling for the rest of the day and it got me thinking about how we document and remember memories...


Since a very young age i've had a fascination with the past and the 'olden days'. I was forever asking my grandparents about the war and stories from eras gone by. I think i have a slight obsession with the collection of memories. My biggest fear has always been to forget and I am the worlds worst hoarder, i never throw anything away (but there is nothing more sparkly than trawling through the saved up flyers, paper and bric a brac and remembering how amazing your life has been so far.)
I'm reading history at University now and absolutely loving it, i cant imagine the course being any better suited to me and, at the risk of sounding like the worlds biggest nerd, researching and reading then consolidating all that knowledge in a piece of writing has become a major passion and something I long to pursue in my future.
It's not only history as an academic subject that has become an obsession in my life, i have always loved unearthing the past from tiny vintage shops to Hampton Court Palace. The pursuit of Sparkle is all about finding inspiration everywhere and the past is a treasure trove of the forgotten and re-discovering memories and lives gone by can never be boring.

Recently I stumbled upon a site called 'Retronaut' and its exactly that... a treasure trove of past memories... here are two random flights of fancy...

1900 Circus...





Colonialism...





Pictures speak a thousand words... maybe that's why im slightly addicted to photography and vintage cameras...



If there is one thing i've learnt this year its that you should never regret your past, it makes you who you are, a stronger person. Your memories and experiences shape your present and your reality. Learning from times gone by, both your own and experiences of others, thats how you grow.
Pursueing Sparkle includes making those memories and creating a past you look back on with smiles and fondness... these last two images made me smile so they seem the perfect pictures to end this post on...





Peace and Love x


No comments:

Post a Comment